Permits are available January 25, 2023 at 9:00 AM CST at recreation.gov.
It’s time to start planning your Boundary Waters trips! If you plan on visiting the Boundary Waters during quota season: May 1 - September 30, you will have to reserve an overnight permit ahead of time.
While popular entry points and dates fill quickly, some people may cancel their permit or switch dates, so continue to keep an eye out during the quote season for available permits. Paddle Planner has a nice feature for members that can alert you when permits become available.
Learn more and reserve your permit here!
Are you interested in planning a canoe trip but are not sure where to start? Here are some questions you can start thinking about:
- When are you going?
- Where are you going? What entry point do you want to use?
- Who is coming with you?
- Do you have specific goals or interests? (Fishing, pictographs, waterfalls, solitude, etc.)
Here are some resources to help you answer these questions:
Beginner's Guide to Paddling the Boundary Waters
BWCA Routes | Save the Boundary Waters
Planning your first Boundary Waters trip? Consider these 5 tips
YOUTUBE: lanning a trip to the Boundary Waters with Ely Outfitting Company!
YOUTUBE: Planning a Boundary Waters Route with Paddle Planner
Many outfitters and lodges provide route and trip planning options, gear rental, guiding services, and even lodging before and after your camping trip. We recommend contacting an outfitter or guide service to help you plan the best possible trip.
Any of these northern Minnesota Boundary Waters Business Coalition members can help with route planning and gear rentals or purchases:
- Bearskin Lodge
- Cast Outdoor Adventures
- Clearwater Historic Lodge & Canoe Outfitters
- Ely Outfitting Company & Boundary Waters Guide Service
- Hungry Jack Canoe Outfitters
- Lodge of Whispering Pines
- Piragis Northwoods Company
- River Point Outfitting Co.
- Rockwood Lodge and Outfitters
- Sawbill Canoe Outfitters
Paddle Planner is another excellent resource for route planning, and read our blog on packing if you need to double-check your gear.
- Boundary Waters Packing List
- Reason to visit the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness
- How to make the most of a Boundary Waters fishing trip
- “I would never go to the Boundary Waters without…” | Save the Boundary Waters