Northeastern Minnesotans for Wilderness (NMW) and the Campaign to Save the Boundary Waters are committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice as we work to protect this special place for everyone and for generations to come. This grant program is one small outcome of this commitment, and we look forward to building meaningful partnerships with individuals, organizations, businesses, etc. who share in this vision.
Application due dates:
December 1, 2022 for January 2023 grant award
(recipients will be notified prior to Boundary Waters permit opening)
May 1, 2023 for June 2023 grant award
NMW will consider funding projects that fit the following criteria:
- Supports people or communities that often get disenfranchised and excluded from the effort to protect the Boundary Waters due to their race, sexuality, ability, size, gender identity or expression, religion, culture, or anything else
- Prioritizes visiting the Boundary Waters or other outdoor spaces, fostering connections to nature, and/or advocating for protection of the Boundary Waters
- Creates and/or fosters mutually beneficial relationships
We intend for this application & grant process to be simple and to not burden anyone with onerous tasks for these relatively small grants.
Section 1: Background
- Briefly describe the proposed project and timeline, including how it relates to Boundary Waters advocacy.
- Who/what is the project partner group, individual, or entity, and what community/communities do they serve or represent? What is the existing relationship (if any) with NMW or with the Boundary Waters?
- How will project participants connect with NMW/Save the Boundary Waters and share stories or advocacy messages before, during, and/or after the project such as media, blogs, photos, events, etc.?
Section 2: Budget
The max amount of funding granted per project will not exceed $3000 unless an exception has been made. This will be determined on a project-by-project basis.
- What is the expected cost of the project (include how much NMW would cover if not 100% and where other funds would come from)
- What kind of expenses are included? (i.e. travel, advertising, event, production, fees, etc.)
**Though not required, you may include any links or supplemental materials via email with your application.
Please reach out with questions, and send your grant application in PDF form to Lucy Trotter: