It’s been a busy and exciting few weeks for the Boundary Waters. We celebrated when the Biden administration announced the cancelation of Twin Metals' two mining leases! Their cancelation now blocks the most immediate mine threatening the Boundary Waters.
Peruse some of the incredible media attention regarding this hard-fought and victorious step towards the permanent protection of our beloved Wilderness.
You are helping turn the Boundary Waters into a forever Wilderness by staying with us during our most critical moments to come this year! We are so grateful for your continued support.
- Huge news for the Boundary Waters - Twin Metals Leases Canceled. On January 26, the Biden administration announced the cancelation of Twin Metals' two federal mineral leases! Read the full update >>
- In the news: The New York Times: “Biden Administration Cancels Mining Leases Near Wilderness Area” (Jan. 27, 2022). Read the full article >>
- A quarter of a million people submitted public comments in support of a 20-year mining ban during the 90-day public comment period! Read more >>
- Protect the Boundary Waters forever. Urge your representatives to support Rep. McCollum's bill for permanent protection. Act now >>
- Thank you, Secretary Deb Haaland! The U.S. Department of Interior determined that the expired Twin Metals leases were unlawfully renewed by the prior administration. Read more >>
- Through our new Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice grants program, we’re supporting and building relationships with people that often get excluded from the effort to protect the Boundary Waters. Read here >>
- The Campaign to Save the Boundary Waters has a new look and design. We recently launched a new website. Explore our brand new site today!
- Save the Boundary Waters is hiring! Apply to work as our next Communications Associate or Development Associate. Apply here >>
- Anishinaabe Storytelling Nights. Join Char Lewis, Bois Forte Elder, who shares Anishinaabe stories this winter (virtual options available as well). Char celebrates her culture in the sweat lodge, pipe ceremonies, and spirituality. Funded through our DEIJ grant program. Sign up >>
- It’s the Ely Winter Festival - an annual celebration of winter that spans ten days! Be sure to stop by our new headquarters. Join us at Winter Fest >>
- Kids for the Boundary Waters D.C. fly-in will be June 12 - 15, 2022. Spread the word to the young people in your life about this opportunity to fly into Washington, D.C., to advocate on behalf of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. Applications due by March 13. Read more >>
- Become a Save the Boundary Waters supporter. Can we count on you to contribute financially to protecting the Wilderness for generations to come? Contribute today >>
- Next month, season two of our Boundary Waters podcast is airing, so get caught up on season one today! Listen to the podcast >>
- Apply for a job in the outdoor industry near the Boundary Waters. Many businesses across Northern Minnesota are currently hiring full-time, part-time, seasonal, and year-round employees. View the job openings >>
- Introducing Boundary Waters Connect - a new program of Northeastern Minnesotans for Wilderness that fosters sustainable wilderness edge communities where you can live, work, and play. Read more >>
- Interested in planning a canoe trip but not sure where to start? Our recent trip planning blog has all you need to prepare for your next wilderness adventure. Read the guide >>