Take Action today
Tell Congress to Defend the Boundary Waters
You can help protect the clean water and boreal forests of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness by taking action today.
Together, we can keep sulfide-ore copper mining out of the watershed of America's most visited Wilderness and ensure permanent protection for the Boundary Waters so future generations can continue to enjoy the Wilderness.
The Path to Permanent Protection
On January 26, 2022, the Biden administration announced it canceled the two federal mining leases held by Twin Metals.
These leases would have allowed Twin Metals to develop a sulfide-ore copper mine right next to the Boundary Waters. This move stops Twin Metals’ proposed mine just upstream of America’s most popular Wilderness.
2022 is our best chance to permanently protect the Boundary Waters from sulfide-ore copper mining. We continue to work on several fronts focused on permanently prohibiting sulfide-ore mining in the Boundary Waters watershed. Our path to permanent protection includes:
- Finalize the proposed federal 20-year ban on copper mining in this watershed.
- Passing a permanent protection bill in Congress and the MN legislature.
- Litigation to defend Boundary Waters protections in court.
- Using science to push back against the proposed mine plan.
- Revising the state's rules regulating mining.